Every piece needs an edge. Really, that’s an obvious thing, but sometimes it’s not as straightforward as it seems.

I started swatching thinking that I might just use the edge of the Rick Rib for the finished edge of the alpaca shawl.

Not quite what I was looking for.

Then, I tried padding it with one row of k2, k3tog, hoping for a scalloped edge. But it still wasn’t quite enough.

Clearly, I needed a real edging. I had settled on the Bold Faggoted Edging from BW #2 for the sides, and I decided to use the same edging on the ends. That left me wondering how to turn the corner.

Eventually, I used short-rows to make half a mitered corner.

Then, I picked up the stitches from the provisional cast-on, and worked the same short row series in the other direction. When the corner has been turned, it looks like this:

So, now I have two stitch patterns, and an edge. Almost a complete design.